Traveling is a great way to heal the mind, body, and spirit in many ways. Whether you choose to spend your free time in the forest, on a sparsely populated island, or in the middle of a densely populated cityscape, changing your environment has been scientifically proven to heal.
Exposing yourself to many different people, places, and things will diversify your life in several different ways. Take a moment to read through this short overview of a few of the most evident ways in which traveling can heal your mind, body, and spirit.
Scientists say that travel is therapeutic
Here are a few scientific ways in which traveling is physically therapeutic to the body.
- Traveling strengthens the immune system by subjecting the body to a variety of pathogens, and the pathogens build up healthy antibodies.
- Travel lowers stress levels significantly. Check out this study.
- Travel keeps you active, improving physical mobility and endurance.
- Travel decreases the risk of heart disease. People who travel are typically much easier going and know how to relax.
Travel teaches patience
Newton’s Law definitely applies when traveling. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. The positive side of the matter is the patience that is learned from working through one catastrophe after another.
Flight cancellations, flat tires, missing wallets, and a million other issues will teach you to take a deep breath and think things through before losing your cool. It may also be quite beneficial to your problem-solving skills.
Traveling removes you from your comfort zone
Stepping away from your comfort zone may feel, well… uncomfortable, but it is great for building self confidence. Those struggling with addiction issues often travel away from their hometown for treatment, because getting away from home means freedom.
Freedom from the pressures and expectations of friends, family, and employers can allow more time for personal exploration. Rehabilitation success rates rise considerably when users travel away from their comfort zone.
Educate your mind with travel
Traveling to different parts of the world is one of the most effective ways to learn. Places have history attached to them. People share their culture and diversity. Stereotypes are quickly thrown away when you have the chance to see how several different areas of the world live.
Travel allows us to break free of our daily roles in life
We all have roles to play; mother, daughter, brother, architect, writer, father, son, friend, etc. Traveling allows you to step away from it all, and just be you in every way possible.
Of course, if you are taking a trip to Disney World with the kids, this may not apply. Regular travelers and solo travelers are in the best position to find respite from the pressures of social roles.
Latest posts by Finlay Kent (see all)
- Tips for Taking your Car abroad for Long Road Journeys - July 19, 2017
- 5 Ways Traveling Can Heal The Mind, Body, And Spirit - July 12, 2017
- An easier way to send your international parcels whilst abroad or travelling - July 3, 2017