Whether it’s that you just don’t have the budget for pricey flights, or want to give the jet-lag a miss, a staycation is a perfect alternative to your annual trip abroad. Find out why holidaying in the UK can be just as relaxing and fun as sipping piña coladas under the Spanish sun.
- Save money Drag the penny jar from the back of the cupboard and count up your change: you don’t need much to have a fun weekend away in the UK. Ditch the flight and find early bird deals on train fares or drive to your destination to reduce costs. Be a savvy staycationer and cook if you’re staying in a cottage or search for locally-run restaurants when you want to eat out without the hefty price tag.
- Less annual leave If you feel like your annual leave doesn’t stretch far enough to allow an extra holiday every now and then, opt for a long weekend away in the UK that takes advantage of bank holidays. Plan a staycation that’s only a few hours’ drive away, and you can be on your way as soon as the clock hits 5 pm on a Friday.
- Open your eyes to the UK You may be surprised to discover that some of the most beautiful places in the world are right on your doorstep. Climb a mountain in the Lake District, pick grapes at a vineyard in Wales or be a queen for the day with a stay in a Scottish castle. Toprooms have quirky and original UK stays that are sure to inspire the adventurer in you.
- Less stress As much as you may love arriving in a new, unfamiliar country with the promise of warmer weather, holidaying abroad can be stressful – especially if you’ve got kids. Be in total control of your break away by staying in the UK. Forget about transfers, tanning and tantrums: a staycation means going at your own pace, not having to rush to the airport or be down for dinner on time.
- Festival fun The UK has some of the world’s best music festivals, so why not turn your staycation into a ‘stayfest’. Grab your wellies, sunglasses and glitter and head to the great British countryside for a few days of music fun, where you can sing and dance the weekend away. If jumping around in the mud at Glasto isn’t your thing, check out the best festivals on the UK coast for dryer options.
- Quick escape
If you have a sudden urge to take a break from the daily grind and get away ASAP, a staycation may be the solution. Pack a bag; find a quiet cottage a few hours away, and escape day to day life without even leaving the county. A night at a small B&B on the outskirts of town can be enough to help you feel a million miles away. If you’re feeling adventurous, try camping or stay in glamping pod for a little more luxury.